There are still spaces available in Lanier Early Start Session 1. You can submit registration and payment to the Lanier Main Office this week to secure your spot!
Download the Registration form here.
Lanier will be offering the Early Start Camp this August for any rising 7th Grade Lanier students! The 1 week camp is offered twice in August and will help rising 7th grade students make the transition from Elementary to Middle School. During this orientation, students will navigate the building, learn how to open lockers, practice rotating through classes and get to know students from other elementary schools. By the time the first day of school comes around, they will be confident that they know where they are going and what they need to do. Early Start Session 1 – August 10th – 14th – 7:30AM – 11:30AM
Early Start Session 2 – August 17th – 21st – 7:30AM – 11:30AM
Read below to find out what students and staff who participated last year had to say about Early Start Camp!
Trinity, a 7th grade student who attended Early Start, said “I wasn’t lost on the first day and I knew exactly where I was going.
Mrs. Dubray believes Early Start “was VERY beneficial for students as always. The biggest part I believe being the social aspect and students knowing that they made a good group of friends… They seem more confident as they walk around the building. It is very cool to see how just one week pays dividends in the confidence of a middle schooler.
Ben, another 7th grader who attended Early Start, said “[It] definitely gave me a sense of the school which is really coming into play now.”
When asked if they would recommend Early Start to rising 7th graders next year, all students and teachers interviewed said, “Yes!” Mrs. Vejar believes “this program would help all of the rising 7th graders. I’ve seen many students in the hallway helping others with directions/lockers – they wouldn’t have that expertise without Early Start.”
Click on the image below to see the Lanier After-School Program’s Clubs-by-Day Calendar for Spring 2015.
The month of May will see the end of Lanier Intramurals for 2014-2015 School Year. The playoff schedule is below:
Wednesday, May 20th – Quarterfinals
Thursday, May 21st – Semi Final and Student Championship
Wednesday, June 10th – Student vs. Staff Game
Wednesday, May 27th – Quarterfinals
Thursday, may 28th – Semi Final and Student Championship
Thursday, June 11th – STudent vs. Staff Game
The Lanier KidWind team and Eco-Club students participated at the NOVA Environmental Showcase at GMU on Thursday, April 9th.
The KidWind team also took part in the KidWind Regional Finals at JMU on Saturday April 25.
Students won various awards, cash prizes, and funding for a school-wide project.
Congratulations to all the students for their hard work!
- Kid Wind Challenge team: Ethan Pepper, Manish Balamurugan, Macie Chamberlin, Sarah Bengtson, James Seybold (Coach: Robert D’Souza) [ Students won the First place award, a cash prize and also the award for the Best Blade design]
- On the basis of the above placing, the KidWind team qualified for the KidWind Regional Finals at JMU. [At JMU the team beat 16 other local winners from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Massachusetts and Virginia to win the First place award, a cash prize and also the Judges Award. The KidWind team thus won a total of 4 awards.]
- Caring for Our Watershed: Ryan Phillips, Mariam Shafik, Keivon Chamanara (Coach: Faiza Alam) [ Students won the Second place award, a cash prize and funding for a school-wide project]
- Environmental Showcase: Carter Boggs, Sabrina Berzin, Tatum Lynch, Jonah Roberts, Luke Hylton, Trinity McCall, Sophia Loh, Mersal Nawabi, Charlotte Schababerle, Pavan Patel (Coach: Faiza Alam & Leah Dubray)
This past Saturday, April 11th, Lanier’s Anime Club participated in Hayfield Secondary School’s Comic Con 2015! Hayfield’s first ever Comic Con showcased artwork, costumes and cosplay. Check out the photos below of Lanier Anime Club students!
Spring Intramural Futsal – Wednesday/Thursday, 3:00 – 4:30
Lanier After-School Intramural Sports will run a Coed Futsal League this Spring on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Here are some important details about Intramural Futsal here at Lanier:
- Futsal is an exciting form of indoor soccer played with a smaller and heavier ball on a basketball sized court.
- Students form their own teams of up to 7 players to compete in our 5 v 5 Futsal League.
- Students must wear their PE uniforms when participating in Intramural Sports at Lanier.
- Teams are guaranteed 5 weeks of regular season play.
Check out the Schedules below:
Lanier’s Diversity Club will begin meeting on Thursday, March 11th from 3:00 – 4:30 in Rm. 212. All students are invited to attend meetings to plan ways to make Lanier a more accepting school:)